Thursday, July 10, 2014

Everyone Wants Everyone Else to be Exactly Like Them

So I'm on Facebook and I see this. Did you read it? Okay, good. So I like to think of myself as pretty aware of the world and the social issues that exist in our culture, but some of these I had never crossed my mind as something my "Christian status" gets me. So first off I would like to say thanks to the people who wrote this, for bringing it to my attention.

Also, I was looking at the comments and I saw this one:

"I find this list to be inaccurate because as a Christian in my my community of Hindu and Muslim culture in NJ, I am a minority and so is my daughter. She and I are mocked or told that we worship a false God. Her school gives days off for Muslim and Hindu holidays as well as Jewish. I am shocked at how small-minded this article is. Have you actually traveled through the U.S.? There is much you have not seen changing around you in your small rural town."

And to this, I want to respond.

"I am sorry for your situation. The truth of the matter is, though, that it is the exception and not the rule. It's hard to think of it that way when you, and particularly your daughter, live with it every day. The situation sucks. But, as someone who has lived across the expanse of the U.S., I can tell you that it is the exception. When you realize this, I hope you can use this knowledge to help and not hinder. You understand what it's like to be in the minority and to feel put down because of it. Don't let that fuel feelings of bitterness, or worse, hate. Instead this knowledge can facilitate change and connection to those with similar circumstances. Don't attack this article for pointing out the subtle ways our society reminds people who is on the top of the privileged scale. Another person commented saying, "The problem seems to be that everyone wants everyone to be exactly like them." While we are amazingly similar for the simple reason that we are all human beings, we all have a different perspective on the human experience. This is actually a great thing and should be celebrated. Again I am sorry for your situation, but I hope that it can be used not to alienate you from others, but bring you closer to the people in similar scenarios."

No comments:

Post a Comment