Friday, April 11, 2014

But the Fighter Still Remains

Here's the thing. I love music. I love music with all of my heart. It is so wonderful for a plethora of reasons, although I won't go into all of that now because that's not the point of this post. And believe me, I could go on and on about that. Suffice it to say that I love music a lot.

And I get kind of passionate about the things I love. I have a soapbox issue with music. Because sometimes people are dumb. Just kidding. Sometimes I don't agree with people about music and that's not dumb of them, but it still makes me upset.

My favorite genre is Indie folk. And my favorite songs are ones that actually have meaning and depth. I do like the occasional song that's about "love." Or "loss of love." Or stuff like that. But I really enjoy songs that provoke thoughts and stuff.

There are songs that are about really touchy subjects and talk about the saddest of situations, but then they're beautiful because of that.

For example, "The A Team" by Ed Sheeran. It's about a girl who sells her body for the money to support her drug habit. And I know people who 1) didn't know that's what the song is about and 2) stopped listening to it when they found out. And I just think that's ridiculous! I mean, if a song is promoting things you don't believe in then don't listen to it. But here's the thing, if a song is saying 'hey guys, there's a problem, and we should be aware of the problem, and that it really is a serious issue that human beings deal with and they deserve our attention because they are people and maybe we can help make this problem not so common or terrible' then that is a song worth listening to.

Also, I think a lot of people like songs with questionable lyrics. And I don't mean for this to be judgmental, but I'm not a fan.

Here's another example of a song that's great and tells a beautiful story (but this one has a happy ending, so that's cool) and also this is my favorite song right now.

It's about immigrants coming to Ellis Island. And a boxer. And it's beautiful.

(I apologize for the weird picture in the background, I couldn't find another lyric video.)


No comments:

Post a Comment