Sunday, April 27, 2014

Arizona and Homeless People

So, remember when I was like, "lists and stuff!" and also, "that WWOOF thing would be awesome to do in my life?" Well, I still think it would be really cool. And I was talking to Maddi about it and we both agreed that that would be fantastic.

However, here's the thing. We're both pretty involved in school stuff right now. We just can't do that right now. BUT. We think it would be a really cool thing if over Thanksgiving break or something we went to Arizona and volunteered at a soup kitchen and somehow got to sleep/eat without spending lots of money. We've heard that maybe that's a thing that happens. Like a live-in soup kitchen? I don't know exactly how that would work, but I think that would be fantastic because I would get to see Arizona which I've only driven through and also I would get to volunteer at a soup kitchen, which is something I have wanted to do for a while.

So, dear readers, do you have any details about this? Because I need some details in order for this to be a thing...

Also, I would like to express some of my ideas about homeless people. I feel like there's this thing that people who are not homeless people look down on homeless people. And that makes me really upset. I have absolutely no idea how someone ends up living in the streets, but I would guess that it is not a pleasant experience and also a really hard thing to go through and also potentially an outcome of things outside of one's control and not one's choices and also not just one single cause, but a lot of things that added up until the person no longer has a home. And besides, being homeless means THAT A HUMAN BEING HAS NO SHELTER, something I learned in the sixth grade was a "bare necessity of life." How messed up is it that people look down on other people for anything, let alone for not have something necessary for living?

Something that my dad said once really made an impact on my life and how I (try) to see people. This is not actually a direct quote -> "I would rather err on the side of charity and give to someone who might end up wasting (insert whatever it is you're giving a person) than err on the side of selfishness and not give at all to a person who might desperately need (insert whatever it is you're giving a person)." He said it better, but you get the idea. I like helping people, not as much as I should, but still. And I really don't like that we have homeless people in our country, not because they're dirty or whatever, but because they are humans living in really sad conditions.


So, how about we stop looking at people as a circumstance and start looking at people as people.

1 comment:

  1. Amazing. I am so proud of the woman you are becoming and the things you are learning and experiencing!

    ReplyDelete